Our Favorite Cornbread
I have loved cornbread for as long as I can remember! I feel like it made my night when we would have it as part of dinner when I was a kid, and I was thrilled whenever it was served at a restaurant. My kids are the same way. I get requests for it pretty regularly. That’s why I’m so excited to share this recipe with you. It took me a while to finally get my cornbread recipe just right. I wanted it to have the right amount of sweetness and moisture for my family’s taste. It also had to be relatively simple because I knew if it was too complicated I wouldn’t end up making it very often. This one finally meets all of our needs. I know cornbread taste is very personal and people have many different opinions about what it should be like. I hope you enjoy this one as much as we do!
You’ll notice I have a cooking temperature at the end of the recipe. This is a relatively new thing for me and I love it! I have always used a thermometer for checking the internal temperature when cooking meat; however, until recently I had just used the toothpick test for baked goods. If it came out clean, it was done. But recently I had been finding that wasn’t super reliable and have come to find that checking the temperature for bread works great as well! I first tried it with sourdough bread and when it worked so well I decided to use it for other baked goods too. This bread used to come out a bit underdone for me sometimes if I wasn’t careful, and now, using the thermometer makes it so much easier to tell when it’s ready!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup butter melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Mix cornmeal in a large bowl with the whole milk and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Melt butter. I typically do this in the microwave for about 1 minute. (If you do this when you mix the milk and cornmeal it allows it time to cool)
- Add remaining ingredients to the milk and cornmeal mixture
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through and internal temperature at the center is 190 degrees.