Spaghetti Spinach Pie
This recipe is definitely in my son’s top ten favorite dinners! Honestly, I never would have expected this to be such a kid friendly dish, but both of my boys gobble it up every time I make it! While it certainly has plenty of cheese, which they love, it also has spinach, and I love that they are eating that as well!
I grew up eating this recipe and I always liked it. However, for some reason, every time I made it I just couldn’t get it right. The directions were fairly simple and open to a lot of interpretation, and usually for me, that doesn’t go that well. While I like to be creative, I like my recipes to be precise so that I know it will come out correctly every time. (It might have something to do with the fact that I have little ones running around while I’m trying to cook). Thankfully, after many times of making this recipe and a lot of note taking and adjustments, I was able to get it to come out just right every time. Now it is a staple in our meal rotation and a go-to recipe. My son loves to make this with me as well, so I try to plan it on a day when I know we will have time to work on it together. It is always such a sweet time when we get to cook together!
Spaghetti Spinach Pie
- 10 oz package frozen spinach
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 T. tarragon
- 3/4 lb sliced swiss cheese (I prefer an imported one like Boar's Head with a bit more flavor)
- 1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese
- juice of 1 lemon
- 8 oz raw spaghetti
- 1/4 olive oil (Approximately, I never measure this, I just drizzle across at each stage of layering)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the spinach according to package directions (6-8 mins in microwave). Cool and drain, squeezing out excess water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Boil pasta according to package directions in salted water.
- In the bottom of a pie plate drizzle some olive oil, next add all of the spinach, spread out into a thin layer. Add salt and fresh black pepper, garlic (I like to grate mine on microplane so can be evenly distributed) and the juice of half of the lemon.
- Place half of the spaghetti on top. Drizzle with olive oil. Layer half of the swiss cheese, breaking it into strips, and half of the tarragon.
- Add the second half of spaghetti, some more olive oil, juice of the second half of the lemon, parmesean cheese, second half of swiss, and second half of tarragon.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes to allow for easier slicing into wedges.