In honor of Memorial Day weekend coming up, which feels like the start of grilling season to me, I thought I’d share one of our favorite sides that we make on the grill. Seriously, it’s ridiculous how often we make this! It’s super easy and flexible as far as how long it marinates. Sometimes I let it sit for 30-60 minutes and other times it marinates overnight in the fridge. I like it best for at least a few hours or overnight, but plenty of times I’ve done it quickly and it’s been great too.
I do recommend using grill mats for this asparagus as it’s easier to keep everything together and save anything from falling through the grates, but I’m sure you could do it without. Since it’s veggies you just grill them until they are the consistency that you like them. So delicious and easy and healthy! If we are grilling multiple items for dinner we always do this dish last since it’s so fast and also cools off rather quickly.
One last thing, this is also great with zucchini and yellow squash! I’ll have to share a post about that later, but we slice the squash lengthwise so that you have long flat pieces (like you would for zucchini lasagna) and then follow the same process. Such a great way to use zucchini when you suddenly have a boatload coming in from the garden!
- 2-3 bunches asparagus washed and trimmed
- 1 bottle Italian dressing use whatever is your favorite
- Place asparagus in a large ziplock bag or 13×9 glass pan and cover generously with Italian dressing. You may not use the whole bottle, just enough to coat them nicely.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight. When ready to grill remove from dressing and place on a preheated grill (we like to grill these on grill mats to make it easier). Grill until they reach your desired level of doneness. We like them with a little bit of crispy black spots, but you can grill them more or less depending on your preference.
- When finished place them on a platter. If desired you can toss in remaining dressing from the marinade or just serve as is without extra dressing. We have done both depending on our mood, but most often serve it without additional dressing.