It’s funny, I used to love getting take out. Now, as I have started to experiment with different styles of cooking, I have come to prefer what we can make at home most of the time. I feel confident in the ingredients and we can customize it to our exact tastes. I think I also started to prefer making our own “take out” when we discovered our son has food allergies. Many take out places became a bit too risky, and we just felt better making the food ourselves.
This fried rice recipe is one of our favorites. It’s so easy and comes together quickly, especially if the rice is already cooked. I use frozen veggies so there is very little chopping, just a little bit of onion. Typically, if I don’t have rice already cooked, I cook it early in the day and just set it in the fridge until closer to dinner when I can make the rest of the dish in just a few minutes.
We love eating this with lots of different recipes when we need a side that has a bit more to it than a simple plain rice or potato. I hope you enjoy it!
- 3 cups cooked white rice (1 cup dry will make this amount)
- 2 T. sesame oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots thawed
- 3 T. soy sauce
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 T. scallions chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sesame oil and allow to begin to heat, then add onion, peas and carrots and sauté until tender.
- Slide veggies to one side of the pan. Pour beaten eggs into the other side of the pan and gently scramble. Once scrambled, mix the egg in with the veggies.
- Add rice and soy sauce and stir to mix well. Continue to sauté until nicely browned.
- Add scallion and toss. Serve.